April 13, 2010

4 Sleeps Until Swap-O-Rama-Rama!!!!!!!!

Wow! Just 4 days. Can you hardly believe it? I can and I can't. It seems like I have been working on this event for awhile now but then again this thing, my baby, has seemed to have grown and taken on a life of it's own in such a relatively short time. I don't want to prematurely congratulate it's success but I feel we are ready, I feel the community is ready and excited, and I feel confident that everyone will enjoy this event for the purpose of which it was created. To be empowered and inspired to create more and consume less.

The community seems to have embraced this event. People calling me for tickets are telling me how they have heard about it within every group they hang out, not just one. They hear it from the media, from facebook, at the coffee shop and because all their friends are seeing it there too they are hearing it from all their friends. The media has caught on and both the Mustaing Daily and The Tribune will be running stories about it this week. And an Information Press reporter will be there at the event so that he can write a post-event story. If nothing else comes out of this event, it has been worth it for me anyway because it has given me the opportunity to network with so many amazing people in the community, find awesome resources and collaborative personalities that exist here in San Luis Obispo, and it has allowed me to spread the word of UpcycleSLO which was one big reason of doing this event.

I still hope to raise a good deal of money for EcoSLO and grace everyone with a fun and well-organized event that they will want to come back to again next year. Some highlights of the event are:
  • The Cottonball of Morro Bay will be on hand with 10 sewing machines for the attendees to use
  • Yudu Screen Printing machines will be available to experiment with
  • Awesome workshops including a Basic Sewing & Tension Workshop, Accessories Galore, and Pillowcase Possibilities
  • Jewelry making, knitting, scrap-use, spinning, and quilting tables where you can sit down and learn from the experts
  • Kid's Hour from 2pm-3pm - Kid's get a chance to turn themselves into "Upcycle Superheroes"
  • A drawing to win prizes such as local gift certificates, gorgeous recycled hiphugger bags, jewelry, a jewelry making class for you and your friends, and more
  • And the Fashion Show begins at 5. Get up and show your talents, see local talented artists and their upcycled apparel, and learn where you can shop for great recycled clothing all over the county

No comments:

Post a Comment